Tuesday, February 19, 2019

What day is this ...?

Today is Tuesday, Feb. 19 ... which I know because I looked at my computer screen and then double-checked my desk calendar. Can't be too careful.

It's also the second month since I retired after 40+ years from the newspaper / publishing / internet development industries. But am still spending most of my time on the computer, trying to get my website up-to-date.

That story about the painter's house being the only one on the block that needs to be painted ... too true. The last time I touched my website was some 10+ years ago. We had a family reunion in 2010 and I posted info for the family.  And it is 2019 already. Time does fly.

Updating a website is a time-consuming process, since I have to touch every page. And they are all loaded with things that need to be changed ... names, addresses, statuses .. and code that could be more streamlined.

First up was finally replacing pictures of my sons' old girlfriends with their current fiances and brides. These poor spouses have had to live with their predecessors on the site for the past ten years.

My sons are lucky they don't have frying pans attached to their heads.

There is also the matter of what to keep public and what to password-control. And all those checks to make sure it really is guarded by a password.

My husband has been trying to sell his 1986 El Camino – a show car – on the website. Unfortunately, the interested buyers so far have been men wanting to use the car to pick up lumber at Lowes and drive to the grocery store.

Uh-uh. They are quickly shown to the (garage) door.

This is a show car, one to be cherished and babied. Not sure, but it might even be more valuable than the wife. Seems that way some days.

Our site was also used for the company business when we lived in Massachusetts. That was shut down long ago, when we moved to Arizona. So, will finally retire that section of the website ... just not sure what to replace it with.

We have travel sagas, family photo albums, reunion calendars and pictures. It's slow-going, much like pulling out a picture album. You get caught up in looking at all the pictures and the captions.

Plus can't get much done in one day – what with staying up late, sleeping in each morning and surfing the net for the day's news. Then there's Facebook, DrudgeReport, multiple newspapers, checking the emails ... and it's time for lunch!

Then back to the emails, do some work on the website and it's already dinner time. (Oh, and housework ... that's still on the back burner. Will get to it as soon as I find time.) Amazingly, the days speed by.

BTW, what day is today? Let me go look ...












No comments:

Post a Comment